Being a model in a foreign land is amazing in fact mind-blowing but not as easy as you might think, not to talk of them getting to pay you. I am a final year medical student in Russia who started blogging on April 15, 2018, as a form to physically see my growth and also help frugal people become voguish with the little they have. Modelling started when I noticed I was needed by a Russian photographer to model for a photo session which was a WIN-WIN because it helped me pay less for blogging pictures. I have been frequently asked “Victory, how do you do it?”, so I said to myself why not share here.
So here are things to know to help you become a model in a non-English speaking country:
- Just to let you know “They need you!!!”, I can’t stress that enough but also your interest counts.
- Be proud of your skin and take good care of it.
- Brand yourself: find your unique style or be versatile.
- Go for local events and make acquaintances.
- Most times they love the afro look, so get yourself an afro wig.
- Let yourself out there, take pictures, post them on your social media platform be active. Use your location’s hashtag.
- Watch YouTube for poses, save Instagram pictures and just have them in mind.
- Network: be friendly, follow your clients on social media, tag them when you post the pictures, like their pictures.
- Start by using the TFP term, this is when there is a licensed agreement between the photographer and model to use those pictures in return for the model’s time or I call it “Free pictures without payment”. After some time you can now have a fixed amount you charge according to your own terms, by terms I mean hours, your outfit or theirs, time of the day, weekends or weekdays.
- Follow the popular social platform where you reside, mine is VK.
- The language is important for easy communication and if not have google translate on your phone.
- Be smart so you don’t get cheated.
Something I intentionally did which is helping me till date was to follow photographers and models in my location like their pictures and comment.
To let you know: the negative thoughts will come to: “Am I good enough?”, “Do they like my work?”,” Am I charging too much?” and so on. Just stick to what you believe in and surround yourself with people that will remind you of that.
With hopes, this will able to help and if you have question comment below.PEACE
Styling by: Natalia Denisova
Location: Simferopol, Crimea
A nice read, thanks for the tips.
Thanks for reading Jess ?
Dress so fine, beautiful background with all colors so fine.
Blushing ☺️ thanks kasuuu
Hey Victory , this piece is awesome !! I loveeeee it
Leave a Reply